If you’re looking for a day of family fun, Luna Park Melbourne is the place to go. This amusement park has something for everyone, from rides and games to food and souvenirs. Plus, there’s always something new to explore at Luna Park Melbourne – so you can visit again and again!
- What is Luna Park Melbourne?
- Where is Luna Park Melbourne?
- Luna Park Melbourne tickets
- Luna Park Melbourne opening hours
- Facilities at Luna park St Kilda
- Luna Park Melbourne rides
- Where can I park at Melbourne Luna Park?
- Annual events at Luna Park Melbourne
- Luna Park St Kilda Beach
- Weather in Melbourne
- Luna Park St Kilda…fun for every family member!
What is Luna Park Melbourne?
Luna Park is an amusement park in Melbourne, Australia and it first opened its doors to the public in 1912. Luna Park Melbourne has since been renovated and updated, but still retains its old-fashioned charm. There are a number of different rides and attractions at Luna Park, including a Ferris wheel, a roller coaster, and a carousel.
For many Victorian children and even adults, a trip to St Kilda should include a day at Luna Park, one of Melbourne’s best tourist attractions.
Where is Luna Park Melbourne?
While most people will say that Luna Park is located in Melbourne Luna park is actually located in St Kilda. St Kilda is located approximately 22 minutes from the Melbourne CBD. You can easily access St Kilda Luna Park via public transport from the Melbourne city centre or by car.
Luna Park St Kilda tips
- All Luna Park ride prices include the $2 entry fee
- Children 3 years and under are free to enter Luna Park St Kilda
- All Luna Park ride tickets must be purchased from the ticket box. They are not available anywhere else in Luna Park
- You can take your own food in and enjoy lunch or you can purchase food from the vendors.
- There is not a lot of shade within the park (but it is something that is being worked on)
- You can buy an unlimited ride entry or you can get tickets for a certain amount of rides
- There really is something for everyone there
- On a hot day take plenty to drink
- If you live close consider a yearly pass…they are a great value or if you have a family why not give them a voucher to Luna Park St Kilda
Luna Park Melbourne tickets
There is a $5 entry fee for anyone entering Luna Park even if you are not going on any of the Luna Park Melbourne rides.
|Ticket||Entry Only||Single Ride Price||Unlimited Rides Price|
|0-3 year ride price||Free||$5.00||$18.00|
|4-12 years ride price||$15.00||$10.50||$41.50|
|13+ years ride price||$15.00||$11.50||$51.50|
|Unlimited Rides Family Pass||N/A||N/A||$155.00|
Luna Park Melbourne opening hours
At the time of this article, the opening hours at Luna park are staggered. At this stage, Luna park is only open on the weekends and through the school holidays. We will update when hours are extended.
Is Regional Victoria on your list? Here are 8 spectacular places for a summer holiday in Victoria
Facilities at Luna park St Kilda
Spending a day at Luna Park is easy with the facilities on site.
- On-site toilets
- Limited seating
- Fast food outlets
- Limited car parking
- Birthday Party facilities
Luna Park Melbourne rides
Luna Park as we have said above really has a ride for everyone of all ages. Most of the visitors to Luna Park Melbourne are looking to experience a ride on the Scenic Railway.
The Scenic Railway
The Scenic Railway at Luna Park is one of the oldest continuously running wooden rollercoasters in the world. It first started operation in 1912 and is now a heritage-listed amusement. Reaching speeds of 60 km an hour this is a great family-friendly ride at Luna Park.
Other rides at Luna Park Melbourne:
There are a number o rides at Lina park that are suitable for young children as well as the thrill-seekers in the family
- Dodgem Cars
- Pharaoh’s Curse
- Road Runner
- Moon Balloons
- Ghost Train/Haunted House
- Sky Rider
- Red Baron
- Happy Swing
*You will also find special sideshow amusements on site
Where can I park at Melbourne Luna Park?
Parking near Luna Park Melbourne can be limited and it also has ticket machines where you must pay for Luna Park parking Melbourne. We got to Luna Park quite early in the morning and we had no problems getting parking near Luna Park Melbourne.
Make sure you do have some coins with you and that you display your validated Luna Park parking Melbourne ticket or you could get a fine.
Autumn in Victoria: 13 spectacular places to see the autumn leaves
Annual events at Luna Park Melbourne
If you are looking for a one of a kind celebration at Luna park then their calendar of events is the way to go.
Luna Love- Valentines Day at Luna Park: Create an unforgettable memory with your loved one by spending some quality, romantic time at Luna Park!
VCE Physics Day at Luna Park: Usually held in March, VCE students are encouraged to learn about physics in a unique way at Luna Park!
Autumn Easter Holidays at Luna Park: take a day out for a fun-filled day at Luna park during the school holidays. Eater is filled with chocolate but it’s easy to work off here!
Luna Park Easter Egg Hunt: Held on Easter Saturday and Easter Sunday kids are delighted to see if Easter Bunny has left them something at Luna Park.
Mother’s Day at Luna Park: Treat Mum to a wonderful day off at Luna Park. Held on Mother’s Day, traditionally the first Sunday in May your mum will love her day at Luna Park.
Winter School Holiday fun at Luna Park: Rug up and have some fun during the winter school holidays at Luna Park
Luna Park School Activities Week: It’s time to let your hair down…SCHOOL IS OUT! Luna Park is open for a week at the end of the year for students and teachers who need a break.
Summer Holiday fun at Luna Park: Open all through the Victorian school holidays and there’s plenty of summer fun at Luna Park.
Luna Park St Kilda Beach
Being right on the shores of St Kilda beach you can also spend some time around the park before or after your visit to Luna Park.
How to get to Melbourne
Being the second biggest city in Australia, Melbourne is connected by highways from the south and north, long distant buses, trains and planes all bring people daily to the city for day trips or short stays.
- Melbourne Airport is located 20 kilometres from the city centre. International and domestic flights come and go every few minutes. Search your flights to Melbourne today. One of the disappointing things about Melbourne is that there is no rail connection to the airport. You can catch the Sky bus or book an airport transfer.
- If your flights have a long stopover, or you just want to relax before your trip you should consider getting a lounge pass with Priority Pass. Priority Pass have access to airport lounges all over the world. Search now for your lounge pass
- Melbourne is connected to both Sydney and Adelaide by direct trains that run daily between these state capitals.
- Greyhound has an extensive network of bus journeys available for you to get to and from Melbourne with ease.
- Driving in Melbourne is super easy with large highways. In Australia, they drive on the left-hand side of the road. You can pick a rental car up at Melbourne Airport and dedicated sites in the city.
Budget travel in Melbourne? Yes! Here are the best free things to do in Melbourne
Getting around Melbourne:
Myki is Melbourne’s ticketing system to travel on the city’s trains, trams and buses. International and interstate visitors coming to Victoria can buy a myki Explorer pack.
The myki pack combines a ready to use myki card, visitor information and special offers for travellers. It’s a great option for visitors who choose to explore Melbourne and regional Victoria by public transport! You need to touch your myki card on and off when you use the public transport system. The Free Tram Zone in Melbourne’s CBD makes it easy to move around the city.
On the free trams, you do not need to touch on and off with a myki. Download the Free Tram Zone map on the Maps page.
Where to stay in Melbourne:
- Melbourne has accommodation options for every budget from Hostels, to apartments hotels rooms and even tourist parks.
- In St Kilda near Luna Park, we recommend the Cosmopolitan Hotel or in the city, Holiday Inn Express is a great choice
- If you’re looking for an apartment, Quest St Kilda and Quest Docklands are great choices.
- Search for more great St Kilda and Melbourne Hotels. Find the perfect apartment for your stay.
Weather in Melbourne
Melbourne enjoys warm summers, sunny spring days, mild autumns and crisp winters. Sometimes you will see these four seasons in one day! With its changing climate, Melbourne turns the heat up from December to February (summer) bring your hats and sunscreen.
It cools down from March to May (autumn), but don’t be surprised to see 30 degree days during this time. Winter brings the chill in from June to August (winter) so pack your umbrellas and coats. The weather warms up again in the spring months of September to November (spring).
Melbourne’s top temperatures are usually in January and February when days in the high 30s and low 40s are probable. Those months are often dry, with hot spells and cooling afternoon breezes off Port Phillip Bay. June and July are the coldest months, and October is the wettest. Melbourne is often maligned for its weather. It receives 650mm of rain annually − less rain than Sydney.
Discover more of Victoria: 11 fun-filled day trips from Melbourne you have to do!
Luna Park St Kilda…fun for every family member!
We highly recommend Luna Park for families. It isn’t overcrowded and crazy like some places although I am sure it does have its crazy busy days. I believe it is great value for money especially when you can take your own food in as well (although I didn’t think that the food or drinks were over-priced within the park either) The best bit was that there was a ride for every one of our family members. This is a hard feat to achieve with us all so different but it is done very well at Luna park St Kilda.
If you are looking for more amazing and best places to visit in Victoria or more travel in Victoria destinations Explore Victoria has some more articles below for you to check out. If you have an idea, attraction or top spot feel free to leave us a comment or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org