Hugging the tip of Australia’s east coast, Victoria is Australia’s second-smallest state, covering 227,600 square kilometres – roughly the size of the British Isles.
Victoria is home to many diverse regions and attractions are packed into our area of Australia, with panoramic coastlines, pristine beaches, national parks and forests teeming with wildlife. Our wineries, lakes and mountains offer skiing, climbing and hiking. Best of all, many of Victoria’s unique and varied landscapes are easily reached as day trips from Melbourne.
Victoria’s capital, Melbourne, sits on the banks of the Yarra River and around the shores of Port Phillip Bay. Melbourne boasts a full schedule of festivals and events, with Australia’s best and most stylish shopping. Melbourne is renowned for its lively food and drink scene and supports a flourishing arts scene. For sports lovers, Melbourne is often referred to as the sporting capital of the world
Seasons and climate
Despite our small size, Victoria’s climate varies across the state. The north has much drier and warmer weather than the south. Australia’s seasons are the reverse of those in the Northern Hemisphere. The climate is warm to hot to very hot in summer (December to February), mild in autumn (March to May), crisp in winter with snow in the Alpine regions (June to August), and cool in spring (September to November).
Melbourne and Victoria host some of the most important domestic and international events in Australia. The most popular and important events throughout the year, including the Spring Racing Carnival culminating in the Melbourne Cup in November, the Australian Open Tennis in January, Melbourne Food & Wine Festival and the Formula 1™ Australian Grand Prix in March, Melbourne International Comedy Festival March to April, international jazz, film and writers’ festivals May through September, and Melbourne Festival in October. Victoria also hosts an ever-changing schedule of blockbuster exhibitions from around the world at the NGV and the Melbourne Museum.
Victoria is Australia’s second-largest state and has a population of 5.3 million people. It is home to many natural and cultural landmarks such as the Twelve Apostles, Great Ocean Road, Lygon Street, Melbourne’s Chinatown. There are also a number of historic buildings in Victoria that have been preserved as a reminder of Victoria’s ‘Gold Rush’ past. Grand nineteenth-century architecture and elegant gardens remain to this day
Latest Posts from Explore Victoria
- 11 fun filled day trips from Melbourne for familiesMelbourne is a great place to visit with the whole family. It has a lot of cool activities for all ages and is a home city to the sporting teams for most major sports in Australia. With pristine beaches, a rich history and culture, and a vibrant food scene, this city has something for everyone, … Read more
- 12 awesome things to do on the Mornington PeninsulaThe Mornington Peninsula is a popular day trip and getaway destination for folks of Melbourne and visitors both domestic and international. This stunning area of Victoria is characterised by its calm waters of the bay for swimming, its amazing wineries producing some of the best drops in Australia, its amazing local produce and so many wonderful attractions. There are just so many … Read more
- 21 best places to visit in VictoriaThere are so many amazing places to visit in Victoria. Victoria is a state of diversity from the Australian Alps in the North East to limestone sea stacks that make the 12 Apostles in the south-west, to the arid desert-like the condition of the northwest and Australia’s most southerly spot of Wilsons Promontory just to … Read more
- Why families should stay in a deluxe cabin at Discovery Parks Nagambie LakesFor many families, staying at tourist parks like Discovery Parks around Australia is a great option. To book a hotel that accommodates up to 5 people easily is just not in many family’s budgets. A deluxe family cabin like you will find at Discovery Parks Nagambie Lakes is spacious, comfortable, and full of great features … Read more
- 5 things to love about Discovery Parks BrightAre you looking for the perfect tree change escape? An escape that will stay in your memory as one of the most beautiful for years to come? Then a trip to Bright should be at the top of your list and the gateway for everything Bright has to offer is the Discovery Parks Bright. Bright … Read more
- 2 epic silo artwork Victoria trails you need to seeFrom grey nomads to young children there is something about the grandeur of the silo artwork Victoria trail that gets everyone’s heart beating. These amazing murals have created the biggest outdoor art gallery in the southern hemisphere where people of all ages admire the sheer magnificence in front of them. The artists and their murals … Read more