A day out at Sovereign Hill is an amazing step back in time to the hustle and bustle of the gold rush era in Australia. This open-aired museum features gold panning, horse and carriage rides and tours to dark, underground mines. It is an adventure for all ages, a learning experience like no other and a memory that stays with you, but where are the best places to stay near Sovereign Hill?
- Where is Sovereign Hill?
- What is Sovereign Hill?
- Places to stay near Sovereign Hill
- Let us take a look at Ballarat motels and hotels for you
- Luxury places to stay near Sovereign Hill
- Caravan parks near Sovereign Hill
- Places to eat around Main Road Ballarat
- Tips for visiting Sovereign Hill
- How to get to Sovereign Hill from Melbourne
There are plenty of options within Ballarat for your visit to Sovereign Hill. Accommodation in Ballarat has options for budget travellers all the way through to large families and luxury accommodation too.
Where is Sovereign Hill?
Sovereign Hill is located in Ballarat, approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes from Melbourne along the M8 freeway. Sovereign Hill is one of the most popular of the Ballarat attractions and is one of Victoria’s top tourist attractions as well.
Although quite close to Melbourne there are so many things to do in Ballarat that people usually stay for a long weekend or a few nights to get the most from their stay in Ballarat.
Ballarat is one of Victoria’s regional cities and with this you will be blessed with so many options for places to stay near Sovereign Hill to make your stay hassle-free.
Facts about Ballarat:
- Ballarat is the 3rd largest inland city in Australia
- The City of Ballarat has a population of over 100,000
- The average temperature in July (Winter) is 10 degrees
- The average temperature in January (Summer) is 25 degrees
- The world’s second-biggest gold nugget was found in Ballarat.
What is Sovereign Hill?
Nearly every adult in Victoria can relive their memories of visiting Sovereign Hill as a child either on school camp or with their parents. It seems to be a traditional trip that we end up taking with our own kids at some stage in life as well.
Visitors to Australia find this outdoor open-aired museum fascinating and a look into how Victoria was formed many years ago but one struggle is finding the best places to stay near Sovereign Hill.
Being an open-aired, working museum you will find people in period dress roaming the streets, displays from trades now no longer practised, old-style machinery and choreographed shows you can watch or even take part in.
Places to stay near Sovereign Hill
As far as accommodation near Sovereign Hill goes Main Road is the best choice for easy access to Sovereign Hill. Main Road Ballarat is within easy walking distance of Sovereign Hill. This takes out the hassle of how to get to Sovereign Hill and also takes out the hassle of getting to a car park.
Travelling in Victoria with the kids? Here is our guide to the very best things to do in Victoria with kids
Let us take a look at Ballarat motels and hotels for you
Finding Ballarat accommodation within close vicinity to Sovereign Hill is quite easy. We are about to make it easier by reviewing some Ballarat hotels, caravan parks, and luxury places to stay near Sovereign Hill within easy walking distance or a bit further away.
We have all the options for places to stay near Sovereign Hill, including family accommodation in Ballarat covered for you. The only thing now is to grab your Sovereign Hill tickets and off you go. We will show you later where to get your Sovereign Hill Tickets.
Best Western Ballarat – walking distance to Sovereign Hill (0.4 km)
The Best Western Ballarat is a four-and-a-half-star hotel for singles, couples and families. The Best Western Ballarat has 26 rooms comprising 14 King Spa Suites and 12 King Executive Suites.
Location: 525 Main Rd, Golden Point VIC 3350
Best Western Facilities:
- Air Conditioning
- Free WiFi
- Onsite Car Parking
Family Accommodation Ballarat Best Western:
- Family Interconnection Suite
- The Interconnecting family accommodation has 2 bathrooms, and 2 bedrooms and can be set for king-size beds or single beds. The 5th & 6th guests can relax on a King single rollaway bed.
Mercure Ballarat – walking distance to Sovereign Hill (0.6 km)
Mercure Hotel Ballarat has 88 comfy, guest rooms. The hotel is a single-story establishment, and all rooms have easy access. For families and larger groups, there are 9 self-contained two-storey apartments at Mercure Ballarat. These apartments come in one- or two-bedroom configurations.
This provides great options for family accommodation in Ballarat options and ticks all the boxes for anyone else looking for places to stay near Sovereign Hill.
Location: 613 Main Road, Ballarat, Victoria 3350 Australia
Mercure Ballarat facilities:
- Day Spa
- Swimming Pool
- Jogging Track
- Billy’s Bar and Restaurant
- Free Wi-Fi
- Baby Sitting Service for Family Travel
- Air-Conditioned rooms
Rooms at Mercure Ballarat:
- Two-story, two-bedroom apartment overlooking a courtyard garden. You will find tables, chairs, and room for the kids in the courtyard. Downstairs is a fully equipped kitchen, spacious lounge, TV, Stereo and a dining area. There are two bedrooms upstairs, the master with a king bed and the second with two singles. You will find a washing machine and dryer for use. Full-size bathroom with complimentary soaps and shampoos. These apartments are off to the side of the main building.
- The rooms within the main building of Mercure Ballarat consist of one King and one Single Bed for three guests—fresh decor and furnishings for a relaxing stay, and set in landscaped natural gardens.
Bakery Hill Motel – driving distance to Sovereign Hill (2.2 km)
Bakery Hill Motel is a little further away from Sovereign Hill at 2.2 kilometres. You will probably need to drive to Sovereign Hill from this one.
What is great about Bakery Hill Motel in Ballarat is its location. Bakery Hill is located right on the edge of the Ballarat central business district where you will find Mcdonald’s, Nando’s and a host of other spots to eat within a few hundred meters away.
Bridge Mall and the proceeding shopping district are just 200 meters away.
Facilities at Bakery Hill Ballarat Hotel
- Free Wi-Fi
- Onsite Parking
- Flat Screen Tv
- Air conditioning
- Kettle with tea/coffee
- Fridge in room
Family accommodation at Bakery Hill Hotel
- Family Room featuring 1 king-size bed and 2 single beds
- Standard Triple Room with 1 king bed and 1 single bed
Luxury places to stay near Sovereign Hill
Having a romantic weekend away or even a luxury stay in Ballarat is easy with these options.
Craig’s Royal Hotel – walking distance from Sovereign Hill (1.5 km)
If you are looking for an unforgettable place to stay near Sovereign Hill then this is the site for you. This grand gold rush era hotel has seen the likes of Princes and Prime Ministers graced its halls as well as a performance from a grand Dame from the balcony, you now have the chance to stay there too.
Location: 10 Lydiard St S, Ballarat East VIC 3350
Craig’s Royal Hotel facilities:
- Luxury bedding
- Flat-screen TV
- Free wi-fi
- Heating and air conditioning
- 24-hour reception
Accommodation styles at Craig’s Royal Hotel:
- Classic room: Single, double and twin options
- Royal Suites: Single or double options
- Superior Room: King and Queen options
* The Superior Rooms also have an option of rooms with a balcony, or a corner spa en-suite.
Ballarat Premier Apartments- driving distance from Sovereign Hill (1.9 km)
This amazing Heritage Listing has a history like none other in the Ballarat area. Once a surgery and then acquired by the RSL as a hostel for Returned Soldiers it is now a stunning building full of luxury.
Location: 2 Lyons St S, Ballarat Central VIC 3350
Facilities at the Ballarat Premier Apartments:
- Free off-street parking
- Gas log fires
- Premium bedding
- Free Wi-Fi
- Air conditioning
- LED TV
Accommodation styles at the Ballarat Premier Apartments:
- 1 bedroom ground floor apartments
- Interconnecting rooms: Deluxe to Premium suite
- Rooms with a kitchenette
- 2nd floor 1 bedroom apartments
- 2 bedroom suites
- 3 bedroom apartments
Kryal Castle – driving distance to Sovereign Hill (8.2 km)
If you are really looking for an experience like no other then an overnight stay at Kryal Castle should be top of the list. With perfect rooms to suit singles, couples and families this is one place for an epic experience.
Location: 121 Forbes Road, Leigh Creek (Ballarat) Victoria 3352
Facilities at Kryal Castle:
- Free Wi-Fi
- Onsite parking
- Tea and coffee-making facilities
- After-hours access to the park
Accommodation styles at Kryal Castle:
- King Honeymoon Suite
- King Suite
- Commanders Quarters (sleeps 10)
- King Suite with spa
- Queen Suite
*Be mindful that if you are booking in children there is a $20 per night charge per child which can quickly add up.
Caravan parks near Sovereign Hill
If you prefer to stay at a caravan park near Sovereign Hill then you are spoiled for choice.
Big 4 Ballarat Holiday Park – walking distance to Sovereign Hill (0.5 km)
Big 4 Ballarat is located just meters off Main Road Ballarat. This Ballarat Caravan Park is packed full of facilities for families visiting Ballarat. Those with a budget looking for affordable accommodation in Ballarat will find Big 4 a great choice.
Big 4 Ballarat will provide a cheaper option than the Ballarat Hotels listed above. Big 4 might be the best family accommodation in Ballarat for kids’ activities onsite.
Location: 108 Clayton Street, Ballarat, Victoria, 3350
Facilities at Big 4 Ballarat:
- Solar Heated Swimming Pool
- Jumping Pillow
- Giant Checkers
- Go Carts
- Half Court Tennis
- Indoor heated Spa
- Games Room
- Adventure Playground
- Tiny Tots Indoor Playground
- Kids Club
- Camp Kitchen
Family accommodation at Big 4 Ballarat:
- 2 Bedroom 4-person Spa Cottage
- 2 Bedroom 6-person Miner’s cottage
- 3 Bedroom 8-person villa
- 2-bedroom 4 people-accessible family villa with ramps for wheelchairs and mobility frames
- 2 Bedroom 4 person Miners Cottage
- 3 Bedroom 7-person villa
- 3 Bedroom 7-person deluxe double story villa
All the above accommodation is near Sovereign Hill Ballarat. We believe the accommodation we have listed will make it easy to access Ballarat tourist attractions.
Places to eat around Main Road Ballarat
- Pizza Hut – International Pizza Chain
- Inn of Khone – Asian Restaurants
- Zigames Ballarat – Modern Australian Cuisine pub-style
Visit Kryal Castle: Is Kryal Castle actually worth visiting?
Tips for visiting Sovereign Hill
- Bring comfortable shoes, Sovereign Hill Ballarat is a big day for walking
- Go to the Lolly shop on the main street for old-fashioned treats
- If you want to save some money pack some food. There is plenty of seating around the park
- Pack some spare clothes for the kids if you want to try panning for gold, there is water involved
- There are more expenses than just entry. Horse and cart rides and mine tours all cost extra
- Winter is a great time to visit Sovereign Hill with kids with the Winter Wonder lights in July
Now let us turn our attention to Sovereign Hill Tickets. The Sovereign Hill tickets can easily be purchased online prior to visiting Ballarat.
How to get to Sovereign Hill from Melbourne
From Melbourne take the Western Highway off the Western Ring Road. Follow the Western Highway for 88km before exiting on the Ballarat Exit. Follow the Ballarat-Burrumbeet Rd onto Victoria Street for 6.4 kilometres. Follow the signs turning at Princess Street then left onto Main Road. Follow Main Road until you find Sovereign Hill.
We stress enough how convenient it is to stay at a hotel near Sovereign Hill. You will find nearly all the best things to do in Ballarat. You can go to Sovereign Hill in the morning come home for a few hours of rest and food at your Ballarat accommodation and then head back it’s that simple.
We hope this article from us here at Explore Victoria has inspired you to embark on your adventure in Victoria, Australia, from popular caravan parks and pristine beaches to drives along the Great Ocean Road. Enjoy weekends away on the Mornington Peninsula and discover the cosmopolitan charm of Melbourne, Victoria, with a range of experiences for every traveller who wants to visit Victoria.
Whether you’re drawn to the rugged beauty of the Grampians, the cultural richness of Ballarat, or the autumn colours of Bright and Northern Victoria, there’s no shortage of hidden gems waiting to be discovered in Victoria.
Even if you love exploring Gippsland or driving the Great Alpine Road, Victoria has something special for you, and there is so much more for you to discover. If you are looking for more incredible and best places to visit in Melbourne or more travel in Victoria destinations, Explore Victoria has some more articles below for you to check out. Expand your horizons and get out and about in Victoria, Australia, for an unforgettable experience.
If you have an idea, attraction, or top spot in Victoria, please comment or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Explore Victoria Australia
Bec Wyld is the creative force behind the words, blending Explore Victora with a touch of wanderlust. With an innate ability to tell a story that resonates, Bec invites readers on a journey through her home of Victoria Australia. Beyond the keyboard, Bec works in Aged Care helping people to live a better life. With a pen in one hand and on the road in front Bec is on a quest to inspire those looking to explore Victoria through words, images and lifestyle